ANNOUNCING THE 2017 Sustainable Versatility Design Competition ::
Grow Your Own Tall Building
A no fee competition designed for the next generation of Architects. This competition is open to students currently enrolled at accredited universities in North America and to Interns at architecture and design firms.
2017 Design Challenge:
Multi-story commercial buildings made of wood are returning in popularity in the United States. Your mission this year, should you choose to accept it, is to imagine, research and design a building that will be the new home for your school’s “School of Architecture and Design” using the following building materials:
- Cross-laminated Timber (CLT) for structural systems
- Spruce-Pine-Fir (SPF-s) graded lumber for framing
- Eastern White Pine lumber grades for finish
Buildings must comply with local building codes.
- First Place: $1,500, interview for the White Pine Architectural Monographs, and mention in trade industry press releases
- Second Place: $750 and mention in press release
- Register for the competition at sustainableversatility.org
- Architectural renderings of your building (Concept art, floor plan, elevations, details and sections as needed).
- Entrants should provide a 500-word (max) narrative that demonstrates your knowledge of designing a building using wood as the primary structural and finish materials for the building. You must also demonstrate knowledge of the local building codes to ensure project compliance.
10% – Build-ability
10% – Integration of other sustainability features in project
20% – Imaginative and creative design
30% – Demonstrated knowledge of building with wood
30% – Maximal use of wood as the primary building material
- Registration Opens: January 15, 2017
- Submissions Due: August 10, 2017
- Award Notification: September 1, 2017
- Award Ceremony in Newport, RI: September 21, 2017